Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-daisy-epub-reader (Open ebook reader for DAISY and epub book formats)
Cute Android: Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-daisy-epub-reader (Open ebook reader for DAISY and epub book formats)
Android-daisy-epub-reader is an open source Android project which is a collaborative project to create an open-source electronic book reader that will support various formats including DAISY and epub content. Currently the software is limited to supporting Daisy 2.02 format ‘Talking Books’, thankfully there are 1000′s of these books available from various sources.
The application requires a minimum of version 1.5 of Android (also known as ‘cupcake’). When the application is installed on a device with version 1.6 or later with TalkBack installed, the navigation of files and folders on the sdcard is spoken.
# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout http://android-daisy-epub-reader.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ android-daisy-epub-reader-read-only
DAISY Digital Talking Book
Digital Accessible Information System, or DAISY, is a means of creating digital talking books for people who wish to hear—and navigate—written material presented in an audible format; many such listeners have “print disabilities,” including blindness, impaired vision, dyslexia or other issues.
Using DAISY, a talking book format is presented with enabled navigation within a sequential and hierarchical structure consisting of (marked-up) text synchronized with audio.
DAISY 2 was a standard based on XHTML and SMIL. DAISY 3 is also based on XML and is standardized as ANSI/NISO Z39.86-2005.
DAISY assists people who, for different reasons, have problems using regular printed media. DAISY books have the benefits of regular audiobooks, but they are superior because DAISY 2.02 provides up to six embedded “navigation levels” for content (i.e. other objects such as images, graphics, MathML etc.) and for displaying synchronized text to speech. DAISY Multimedia can be a talking book, computerised text or a synchronised presentation of text and audio.
Posted by Cute Android
Related Android Apps:
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: FBReaderJ (An e-book reader for Google Android platform)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Reader (Android client for Google Reader)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-feed-reader (A RSS/Atom feed reader for the Android platform)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: ttrss-reader (Tiny Tiny RSS Reader for Android)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: ttrss-reader-fork (RSS-Reader for Android)
- Cute Android Apps for Users: Aldiko Book Reader
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-rome-feed-reader (Android ROME Feed Reader)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Nookapp-googlereader (An android nook app for Google Reader)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Sparserss (A simple rss reader for Android)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-rss (Android RSS Feed Reader)