Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Big-planet-tracks (An Offline Maps Enabled GPS Tracking App for Android-powered Phones)
Cute Android: Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Big-planet-tracks (An Offline Maps Enabled GPS Tracking App for Android-powered Phones)
Big Planet Tracks is an open source Android project which is an online/offline maps application that can import, export and record your GPS tracks, and shows live/real-time statistics such as time, speed, distance, and elevation. The main features include:
* Maps Usage
o Online maps (Network needed)
o Offline maps (SQLite database created by using Mobile Atlas Creator 1.7)
o Change different SQLite database maps dynamically (e.g. Taiwan.sqlitedb, Japan.sqlitedb, and so on.)
o Map zoom in/out
o Go to my location (i.e. auto-follow the GPS locations) on the map
o Search (Network needed)
o Adjust map offset (mainly solve the map shift issue in China)
o Reference scale on the map
o Keep the screen on when viewing the map
* GPS Tracks Management
o Import GPS track files (.gpx) into the database
o Record GPS track and display on the map simultaneously
o Export GPS track to a file (.gpx)
o Show a GPS track’s time, distance, average speed, maximum speed and number of waypoints
o Full support all timezones, show the correct GMT time of GPS tracks
o Display the loaded track and the recording track on the map simultaneously
o Enable the background service when recording a track
* Full support for different screen resolutions of the mobile phones
Get a local copy of the big-planet-tracks repository with this command:
hg clone https://big-planet-tracks.googlecode.com/hg/ big-planet-tracks
How To Save Google Maps For Offline Use On Android
Google Maps is one of the most popular online mapping service which is introduced by Google Inc.
Suppose you are planning for a vacation and need a route map, you can save Google Maps for offline viewing on Android.
The following is the step-by-step of using the PC program Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC) to create the SQLite database named BigPlanet_maps.sqlitedb which can be used by Android apps such as Big Planet Tracks and RMaps:
1. Install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE or JDK, at least JRE v1.6.0_14 or later).
2. Download and decompress Mobile_Atlas_Creator_1.7_SQLite.zip (Official Edition + SQLite Libs + Settings for “BigPlanet SQLite” format).
3. Copy the libsqlite_jni corresponding to your OS platform to the MOBAC folder (which Mobile_Atlas_Creator.jar is located).
4. Double click the Mobile Atlas Creator.exe on Windows (Run start.sh on Linux).
5. Use the left mouse button to select the download area and right mouse button to move the map after executing the MOBAC.
6. Click the “Add selection” button after selecting the multiple “Zoom Levels” of the map.
7. Confirm the “Map Source” to be “Google Maps” (default value, you can choose another types).
8. Confirm the “Format” of “Atlas settings” to be “BigPlanet SQLite” (default value).
9. Start downloading the map after clicking the “Create atlas” button.
10. After the download is finished, please click the “Open Atlas Folder” button to get the database named BigPlanet_maps.sqlitedb.
11. Copy BigPlanet_maps.sqlitedb to Android phone’s SD card whose folder is “/sdcard/RMaps/maps/BigPlanetTracks.sqlitedb” (You can use any filename as long as you use the same filename extension above).
12. Make sure to enable Android phone’s My Location setting (check “Use wireless networks” and/or “Use GPS satellites”).
13. Finally, please execute Big Planet Tracks or RMaps, the map will be moving to your location (if you successfully receive the latitude and longitude coordinates from Internet or GPS satellites).
Posted by Cute Android
Related Android Apps:
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: gvSIG Mini
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: GPS Logger for Android
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Eyes-Free (Speech Enabled Eyes-Free Android Applications)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: AndNav2 (Realtime Turn-By-Turn Navigation System)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Wiki Dici (A Wiktionary-powered dictionary for Android)
- Cute Android Apps for Users: Google Maps
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Growing-phone-pet (A pet for Android phones that grows and changes based on your interaction)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: OsmAnd
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Osm-Android
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Osmeditor4android