Open Source Android Apps for Developers: FBReaderJ (An e-book reader for Google Android platform)
Cute Android: Open Source Android Apps for Developers: FBReaderJ (An e-book reader for Google Android platform)
FBReaderJ is an open source Android project which is an e-book reader for the Android platform. It is a clone of the FBReader book reader written in Java. FBReaderJ supports several e-book formats: oeb, epub, fb2. In future releases the list will be extended to support the same formats as the original FBReader. Direct reading from zip, tar and gzip archives is supported. FBReaderJ is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL.
FBReaderJ was partially written as a student project at Academy of Modern Software Engineering, the project was done by Olga Melanich, Marina Sokol, Eugene Vlasov and Grigory Yaroslavtsev.
Current FBReaderJ version is 0.7.8. Since version 0.5.7 the binary package is available from the Android Market. (To install, start Android Market apllication on your device, search FBReader and press the “Install” button.)
Alternatively, you can download the package from the project page.
Sources archive and osolete apk versions are also downloadable below on the project page.
If you would like to upgrade FBReaderJ from version < 0.3.0 to the current version, you must remove the installed package and then install the new one. All the settings will be lost after this operation, sorry.
Since version 0.3.0 there is no way to open an arbitrary file in FBReaderJ. A file should be moved into the directory /sdcard/Books on your device. (Or into any its subdirectory.) Alternatively, you can "open" a book directly from Internet. Just click a link to a file with extension .epub, .oeb, .fb2 or .fb2.zip. The file will be downloaded and opened in FBReaderJ. If you'll click the same link the file will not be downloaded again, a local copy will be opened.
* Download FBReaderJ 0.7.8 sources
* FBReaderJ 0.7.8 Android Package
* Obsolete FBReaderJ 0.6.6 Android Package
* Obsolete FBReaderJ 0.5.27 Android Package
* Obsolete FBReaderJ 0.5.17 Android Package
* If you want to be notified about new releases, you can subscribe to FBReaderJ project at freshmeat
Compatibility with obsolete android ROMs
FBReaderJ uses native code since 0.5.7. This means it is only compatible with ROMs starting from version 1.5. FBReaderJ package available from the Android Market is only installable on devices with ROM version atr least 1.5. If you use version 1.0 or 1.5 we recommend to upgrade your device. However you can try to use FBReaderJ even on the 1.0 ROM. If you want to do this there are 2 ways:
* to install an obsolete version 0.5.6
* to install a special package of the FBReaderJ 0.5.17 for ROM 1.0. It is known this version works on several devices but doesnot work on several other devices. This version is not supported. Do not install this package on device with ROM 1.5!!!!
Posted by Cute Android
Related Android Apps:
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Reader (Android client for Google Reader)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Sparserss (A simple rss reader for Android)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-rome-feed-reader (Android ROME Feed Reader)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-feed-reader (A RSS/Atom feed reader for the Android platform)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: ttrss-reader-fork (RSS-Reader for Android)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: ttrss-reader (Tiny Tiny RSS Reader for Android)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-daisy-epub-reader (Open ebook reader for DAISY and epub book formats)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Nookapp-googlereader (An android nook app for Google Reader)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-rss (Android RSS Feed Reader)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Droidreader (The PDF Document Reader for Android)