Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Gmote (Gmote is an Android remote that allows users to interact with their computer in various ways)
Cute Android: Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Gmote (Gmote is an Android remote that allows users to interact with their computer in various ways)
Gmote is an open source Android app which turns Android into a remote control for a computer, allowing users to run movies and music at a distance. It supports all of the standard remote control features such as play, pause, rewind, volume controls etc. It also has a built-in file browser that lets you select what to play. Some typical use-cases are people launching and controlling movies while sitting back on their couch, or listening to music. It also has a touch pad feature which allows you to control your mouse from the phone, similar to a laptop touchpad (also sending keystrokes typed in on the phone to the computer). It’s great for sitting back on the couch while watching youtube or hulu. Version 2.0 also has a Gmote Stream feature which allows you to stream music from your computer to your phone! It supports Mac, Windows and Linux.
# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout http://gmote.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ gmote-read-only
The Gmote application is separated into 4 projects:
* GmoteClient: An android application that is installed on a phone (see the Android sdk for more info)
* GmoteServer: A server application that is installed on a user’s computer. It receives commands from the GmoteClient and executes those functions by interacting with different parts of the computer, such as the file system or a media player.
* GmoteCommon: Stores files that are common to both the gmote client and server. This includes a set of Serializable objects that get exchanged between two to facilitate communication. Important: Since this code is shared, it must only use language features that are compatible with both the Android SDK and a java SDK (ex: don’t use a Logger object as it will break the Android client, and don’t use any classes that are in the com.android package)
* GmoteUpdater: Small application that will allow automatic updates to the Gmote Server.
Setting up the code
This entire project was build using eclipse, which means the instructions will be heavily biased towards the eclipse environment, although the project will work under any development environment.
To setup the project using eclipse, simply checkout the entire project (all 4 projects mentioned above). Then, from eclipse, select ‘import’, ‘existing project into workspace’, and import all 4 projects.
Note: You’ll notice that some of the files are not included in the project. This is because by default, the server project is setup for Windows and Linux development. There are a few files that are specific to Mac which break the other clients and are therefore excluded from the classpath. If you want to develop for Mac, simply edit the .classpath file to re-add the excluded mac files.
Please try to follow the standard java coding conventions: http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html
When setting up your editor, please use the following formatting rules:
* Don’t use tabs, always use 2 spaces.
* Set the default indentation size to 2 spaces.
Posted by Cute Android
Related Android Apps:
- Cute Android Apps for Users: Remote Web Desktop
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Skylight1 (Android Project)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Funambol (SyncML client for the Google Android mobile platform)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: PRemoteDroid
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Andless (Android audio player for lossless and other files)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Pmix (PMix is an mpd client for android)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android Battery Dog
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android PDF Viewer
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Filexpert (Powerful & Leading Android File Sharing & Management Software – HTTP FTP SMB Sharing)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-vnc-server (Android VNC Server)