Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Libgdx
Libgdx is an open source Android project which is the developer’s attempt at a cross-platform game development library written in Java with some JNI code for performance hungry sections. It abstracts away the differences between writting desktop and Android games based on OpenGL. This allows you to prototype and develop your application entirely on the desktop and only needing 6 lines of code to make it run on Android.
Libgdx offers modules for graphics via OpenGL ES, audio, input and file i/o as well as a full Box2D JNI wrapper especially suited for Android. All modules abstract away system specifics so you can execute the same code on the desktop and Android. The graphics module offers full bindings to OpenGL ES 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0. On the desktop almost all of the OpenGL ES functionality is emulated via translations to desktop OpenGL. The audio module features a native mp3 and ogg decoder and simple classes to playback sound effects as well as stream music. The input module provides you with information about the current state of all input devices available. This includes the touch screen, the accelerometer and the keyboard. On the desktop the touch screen is emulated via mouse input, the accelerometer is of course not available and keyboard input is mapped accordingly. The file i/o module offers you a unified way to read application internal data which map to assets on Android and files in the root directory of the application on the desktop. Additionally the module allows you to read and write external data. On Android this maps to the external storage device like the SD-card, on the desktop all paths are relative to the user’s home directory.
# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout http://libgdx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ libgdx-read-only
Here is the demo video from Youtube:
Posted by Cute Android
Related Android Apps:
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Forget3d
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Milestone-overclock
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Connectbot
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: WebSMSdroid
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Dex2jar
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Dialerone
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Zxing
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: k9mail
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: SyncMyPix
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: JRuby-for-android