Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Mages (Android Game Engine)
Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Mages (Mages Game Engine enables you to develop effective multiplayer client/server internet games for mobile devices with minimum efforts)
Mages is multiplayer client/server game engine for Android and other mobile devices (currently Android and J2ME devices are supported, development for Windows Mobile in the progress). It allows developers to create internet multiplayer games by implementing only core game logic and GUI by using powerful engine API.
Developers can reuse effective Comet-based engine networking protocol, common game tasks like login to game server, retrieving of active player list, list of available game sessions, create new game session, join existing game, invite other player, just chat with opponents and many other features.
# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout http://mages.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ mages-read-only
* Support for pluggable games
* Support for pluggable AI programs
* Minimal latency with Comet-based protocol (single connection is used during game play – Tomcat NIO functionality is utilized)
* Minimal traffic (valuable for GPRS networks and roaming)
* Pluggable and configurable transport layer (the engine provides two services – local server for play with programs and GASP server for networking multiplayer game)
* Localization support
* Player ratings store/load/calculate support (developers may also override rating calculations for their games)
* Advanced timer control (max time per move, max time per game, move increment time)
* Create/join game session, connect/disconnect to the game server
* Invitation to game session support and other common game operations
* Chat messaging to communicate during play
* Possibility to resign during the game
* Ready Chess GUI with both keyboard, touch input and resizable board – ready to be integrated with world online chess servers
* Asynchronous programming is used almost anywhere where it is possible to avoid delays
* Android users could play with J2ME users since GASP contains ready J2ME client which works with the same protocol. Sure, it doesn’t have so many features and possibilities but will bring numerous users for the game servers.
* Open source license will allow to improve the engine and add more and more features.
Posted by Cute Android
Related Android Apps:
- Ten Open Source Android (2D or 3D) Game Engine for Android Developers
- Open Source Android (2D or 3D) Game Engine for Android Developers Plus
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: jMonkeyEngine (Java Based 3D Game Engine)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-2D-Engine (Android Game)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: YoghurtGum (Android Game Engine)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: jPCT-AE (Android Game 3D Engine)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Catcake (Android Game Engine)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: AndEngine (Android Game Engine)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Angle (Android Game Engine)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Dwarf-fw (Android 3D Framework)