Open Source Android Apps for Developers: OsmAnd
OsmAnd (Navigation & routing based on Open Street Maps for Android devices) is an open source Android project which aims to create comfortable navigation/routing application for mobile devices (such as android phone) that have limitation with internal, operating memory & processor resource. Also application has a goal to economy internet usage or do not use it at all (use preloaded data), that’s why offline features are more prioritized than online.
OsmAnd is an OpenStreetMap application app for Android. OsmAnd uses OpenStreetMap data to not only display different raster maps, but also provide search address/POI/location functionality. OsmAnd uses its own index format data that could be created from any OSM file by using the OsmAndMapCreator utility. OsmAnd claims to be a fully open navigation system that uses open OSM data. Currently, car/bicycle/foot navigation is supported online. There is simple navigation to point offline. Points of interest can be added directly on the map while the location is shown.
# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout http://osmand.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ osmand-read-only
Currently application is the most suitable in these cases :
1. If you want to visit town (with or without internet) as tourist by foot (you will find all POI and addresses).
2. If you are osm contributor (you can see osm bugs : open/create, update map, edit POI).
3. If you are living in country & you often want to search your hamlet, lake, house (street/number), search nearest opened restaurant or closest public transport.
4. If you want simply navigate to the point specifying lat/lon coordinates & save your track.
5. If you want to save your favorite points.
6. If you want use online routing (require a few of the internet data).
7. If you want to navigate using existing GPX file
Target devices are Android 1.5 – 2.2
How to install & use application :
Download OsmAnd.apk & install using HTC sync (install 3rd party) or console tool or ApkInstaller application for android and from android market (net.osmand). How to use application you can find at How To Answers.
Posted by Cute Android
Related Android Apps:
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: AndNav2 (Realtime Turn-By-Turn Navigation System)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: gvSIG Mini
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Osm-Android
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Big-planet-tracks (An Offline Maps Enabled GPS Tracking App for Android-powered Phones)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Osmeditor4android
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: GPS Logger for Android
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: OpenSatNav
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Quick-settings
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-daisy-epub-reader (Open ebook reader for DAISY and epub book formats)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Andrico