Open Source Android Apps for Developers: pp-mcreader (mobile currency reader)
Cute Android: Open Source Android Apps for Developers: pp-mcreader (mobile currency reader)
Mobile Currency Reader that scans currency using Android phones and says the amount value of the currency. This project was completed as part of the Project Possibility SS12 event held in Feb/March 2010 at UCLA. More information on Project Possibility and its mission can be found at http://www.projectpossibility.org/. Project:Possibility is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating groundbreaking open source software for persons with disabilities.
chippoc, StjarnLj…@gmail.com, nishanth.alapati, khaing211, mattvpham, js.wilhelm
# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout http://pp-mcreader.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ pp-mcreader-read-only
All denominations of U.S. bills have the same size and shape, making them hard for the blind to differentiate.
* Print out more accessible currency
o It’s expensive to change bills
* Ask someone
o People aren’t always trustworthy
* Fold the bills differently based on their value
o Doesn’t help when receiving money
* Use an electronic money reader
1. Hold the bill up against a flat surface
2. Point the camera towards the bill and touch the screen to take a picture
3. Hold the phone until you hear a shutter sound
4. It will beep while processing; this might take a minute
5. It will report either an error message or the denomination of the bill
Due to the limited processing resources on current mobile devices, the system uses a client-server architecture. The mobile device client is responsible for taking images and uploading them to the server. The back-end server then performs the heavyweight image recognition using computer vision techniques. Once a match has been identified, the server responds to the client with the identified value. Upon receiving a response, the client indicates the bill denomination to the user via audio cues.
Posted by Cute Android
Related Android Apps:
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Reader (Android client for Google Reader)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: ttrss-reader-fork (RSS-Reader for Android)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-feed-reader (A RSS/Atom feed reader for the Android platform)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Funambol (SyncML client for the Google Android mobile platform)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: ttrss-reader (Tiny Tiny RSS Reader for Android)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-rome-feed-reader (Android ROME Feed Reader)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Android-daisy-epub-reader (Open ebook reader for DAISY and epub book formats)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Nookapp-googlereader (An android nook app for Google Reader)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: OI News Reader (OpenIntents News Reader for Android)
- Open Source Android Apps for Developers: Slimvoice (Braille drivers and a Screen reader for Google Android)